Feature Profile: Arthur B. Voorhees
A well-known vascular surgeon, Dr. Voorhees did his surgical training at Presbyterian Hospital, following which he joined the attending staff at Presbyterian Hospital as well as the faculty of P&S. While doing research on blood vessel regeneration, he developed the first successful artificial arteries, initially made from a silk handkerchief and subsequently from nylon left over from World War II parachutes. He successfully implanted the arteries in human patients. Dr. Voorhees served on the attending staff at Presbyterian Hospital until his retirement in 1984 and was chief of its vascular service. In 1988, Dr. Voorhees was awarded the P&S Alumni Association Medal for Outstanding Medical Achievement. He also served in the surgical research unit at Brooke Army Medical center from 1948 to 1950.
Evelyn Voorhees Wade, widow of Arthur B. Voorhees ’46, donated a small collection of documents to the P&S Archives, circa 1950s-1990s, relating to Dr. Voorhees.. Included is a book chapter, correspondence, a transcript of a short interview, his notes on early dog experiments, a list of operations he performed, and a manuscript of a lecture.